Two Chinese Nabbed for Offering N100Million Bribe to EFCC Official
Messrs Meng Wei Kun and Xu Koi both Senior Officials of China Zhonghao Nig. Ltd,a Construction firm, have been arrested by the Sokoto Zonal Office of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, for attempting to bribe its Zonal Head, Mr. Abdullahi Lawal with N50 million bribe. The money was meant to compromise the officer who is leading a team of investigators probing the abandonment of a N50 billion road project awarded by the Zamfara State Government to China Zhonghao Nig. Ltd between 2012 to 2019. The contract was for the construction of roads in Gummi, Bukkuyun, Anka and Nassarawa towns of Zamfara state and construction of 168 solar-powered boreholes in the 14 local government areas of the state. The projects were said to have been abandoned in spite of the release of N41 Billion Naira .
Lawal TELLs his Story
“On May 7, 2020, I was contacted by Mr Meng Wei Kun, Managing Director, China Zhounghao Nig. Ltd, in respect of an ongoing investigation against their company.I and my investigating team were offered the sum of one hundred million naira to compromise the case.
Four days after a series of discussion, it was agreed that I come for half of the money, which was ready, at their office/residence, along Airport Road, Kasarawa, Sokoto.
In a well-coordinated operation with a team of operatives, Mr Meng Wei Kun and Mr Xu Kuoi, were arrested while giving the bribe to me at the above address’
The Commission’s spokesman ,Dele Oyewale gave further clarification,
“Investigation of the construction company was informed by intelligence on alleged conspiracy; misappropriation of public funds; embezzlement; official corruption; abuse of office, stealing and money laundering obtained against the Zamfara state government through inflated and uncompleted contracts awarded to the company.Investigations have so far revealed that China Zounghao Ltd has received payments of over N41 billion from the Zamfara state Government, out of which about N16 billion equivalent to over $53 million was allegedly diverted and traced to some bureau de change operators.”
He said at the conclusion of investigation the duo will be charged to court.