Oba Nofiu Adeyemi Otun-bade Celebrates 10th Year Anniversary As Onijaye of Ijaye-Titun

Posted on May 26, 2021 || By: Global News

The Brief History of Ijaye Obirinti, Abeokuta, Ogun state

The Ijaye Orile in the present day Akinleye Local Government of Oyo State was founded in 1785 by a warrior called Orisabiyi.  

Orisabiyi was a descendant of Alaafin Abiodun and on behalf of Oyo and Alaafin Abiodun, Orisabiyi conquered many wars. When Orisabiyi was leaving Oyo, Alaafin appreciated all his efforts during the wars by giving him a beaded crown that wherever he decided to settle he should become an Oba (King) there. 

Orisabiyi settled and established a town he named IJAYE which means he fought and survived. After the death of Orisabiyi, he was succeded by Laaro his brother. After the demise of Laaro, Mokaaye (omokulaye) Oyediran Orisabiyi’s son ascended the throne of his father. 

In 1829, Kurunmi the warlord (Aare Ona Kakanfo) and his troop attacked Ijaye Orile. As a result, Oba Mokaaye, his two sons (Kukudi and Obirinti) and the people of Ijaye fled towards Abeokuta where the king had friends for safety. In the absence of the King, Kurunmi made himself lord (Balogun) over Ijaye people who stayed back. 

The King, royal family and most Ijaye people moved towards Abeokuta but on their way Oba Mokaaye Oyediran died due to old age and stress of the long journey.  Before the death of Oba Mokaaye, he handed his beaded crown to his chosen son (Obirinti) to ascend the throne and encouraged him to lead Ijaye towards Abeokuta where he had friends.

After the demise of Oba Mokaaye near Arakonga river in Abeokuta, the royal family and Ijaye people continued their journey to Abeokuta. Kukudi decided to stop his own journey at a place now known as Ajitandu/Iberekodo. Obirinti on the other hand followed his father’s instruction and continued with the rest of Ijaye to a place called Oke-Ijaye in Abeokuta where they stayed for a while until their lutes (houses) started to burn. Ifa oracle was consulted and Obirinti’s family was advised to move to a place where they will find an ‘Arere’ tree. They moved in accordance with the advice of Ifa oracle in search of the Arere tree. On their way they got to a place where their “Esu Obirinti” fell down and some settled there, and they named the place Itun Seriki which is now the second point of settlement for the Ijayes in Abeokuta. 

Obirinti, his son Aina Otun-Bade and others continued from Itun-Seriki until they crossed a river now known as Sokori river after which they sighted an ‘Arere’ tree. This resulted in great jubilation and they occupied the land near the Arere tree. They named the place Ita Onijaye and established themselves there. Markets were established at Oke Ijaye, Itun Seriki and Oke- Sokori. Religious sites which included a mosque and shrines where built. As a result, Ijaye Obirinti established three settlements in Abeokuta namely Oke Ijaye, Itun Seriki and Oke-Sokori. Kabiyesi and Olori

Upon arrival to Oke Sokori in 1832, Obirinti focused on the development and establishment of his people until his death. Before Obirinti’s death, he handed Aina Otun-Bade his beaded crown which Alaafin Abiodun gave is grandfather Orisabiyi in the 18th century. The Otun-Bade family has safely kept the crown and other historic artefacts brought from Orile Ijaye till date.

On May 11th, 2011, the Egba Traditional Council and Ogun State Government graciously approved Oba Nofiu Adeyemi Otun-Bade as first Onijaye of Ijaye in Abeokuta with the seat of power (Ijoko Agbara) at Ijaye-Titun, Alamala Barrack road, Oke-Ogun Abeokuta. With this appointment, Oba Nofiu Adeyemi Otun-Bade, great great great great grandson of Orisabiyi became the 1st person to wear the beaded Ijaye crown since Ijaye people arrived Abeokuta in1832.

The story of Ijaye is embedded and well documented in historic African books such as “West Africa and the British 1700-1950” by Sanderson Beck and pre-Nigeria independence Yoruba history books such as “The History of the Yorubas: From the Earliest Times to the Beginning of the British Protectorate” by Rev Samuel Johnson. The manuscript for Rev Samuel Johnson’s book which remains one of the oldest Yoruba history books was completed in 1897 and the book was officially first published in 1921.

Today, we are not just celebrating the 10th Year Coronation Anniversary of His Royal Majesty, Oba Nofiu Adeyemi, Otun-Bade the first of Ijaye-Titun, we are also celebrating the rich history of Ijaye, Ogun State and Yoruba people worldwide. 

Kabiyesi o

Kade pe lori

Ki bata pe lese

Ki esin Oba joko pe

Ki irukere di abere

Olori a sise ibi o

Ki irukere yin ma po si

Kabiyesi o 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Our Latest Cover

ADVERT

ADVERT

ADVERT

ADVERT

loading...